joyfulchristian

My own personal musings, wonderings, thoughts, and results of personal studies. Also, occasional comments on world events.

Powered by Blogger Pro™
Tuesday, September 02, 2003
Missed this one
 

While I was trying to suppress my wonderfully horrible headaches, I missed this post by Philip Murphy about the continuing inability of Europeans to understand American thinking.

I won't deny that I am totally incapable of understanding the prevailing political thought in most European countries; in fact, it often appears to me that they are living in a fantasy land. As Murphy points out, the reverse is also true; Europeans don't get us either.

The difference is that most Europeans, at least the ones who make the most noise, seem quite confident that they understand American political thought and therefore know conclusively that we are wrong. On the other hand, most Americans simply don't seem to care what the Europeans think at all.

The result, I think, is that the rift between America and the (non-English speaking) rest of The West, will continue to widen.